2 captures
18 Jan 2000 - 22 Jan 2000
DECJANFEB
Previous capture18Next capture
199920002001
The Digital Hindustan Times LogoBollywood Banner

  GOSSIP
  QUOTES
  QUIZ
 
 
INTERVIEWS

Shah Rukh: Khan no.3?

Is Shah Rukh's status as the hottest Indian star being threatened by the other two Khans?

Whereas Aamir has churned out superhits Sarfarosh  and Salman has entertained with Biwi No 1 and Hum Dil De Chuke Sanam respectively, Shah Rukh will have no release until Badshah and Phir Bhi Dil Hai Hindustani hit the market; almost a year-and-half after his last film and bumper hit KKHH.

While he is in the freezer, have the other top Khans marched ahead?

First he dismisses any talk of the war of the Khans. "It is supposed to be a full-scale fight to the finish among the three of us. Come on, we're merely doing our jobs for different directors and production houses. Obviously, someone has run out of ideas to pit us together."

This year I will have two releases Baadshah and Phir Bhi Dil Hain Hindustani. Phir Bhi Dil Hain Hindustani is my home production and it will be released on Diwali . 

He then gets a bit defensive and seeks to assure himself a bit.

"...I don't have to make a point to anyone. I am Shah Rukh Khan. I'm the biggest star in the country today. I am a hugely popular star. I'm even fantasised about...."

He says he is in a class of his own with an aura and mystique around him. Also he is a trendsetter and doesn't follow leaders.

"When I first played the bad guy I was scoffed at. Today every hero wants to be bad." When he was new to the Industry he was criticised for talking fast. Now most heroes ape him by trying to speed up their speech, he adds.

The secret of his success: "There's still purity in me. I've retained it even after eight years in the business. May be that spills on the screen."

If he is such a legend why does he demean himself by dancing at weddings and attend store openings for a fee.

"There is money there to be taken. I'm using my resources to claim it. Tomorrow I will grow old and my hair will wear thin and I'll not be invited - neither to the parties nor to the films."

But then he says he doesn't care for money and the highlife it brings along.

"I'm not a material man. My house may have high-tech gadgetry and marble flooring, but personally I'm cool...So many of my friends love the high life. So I play along. Highclass pretensions put me off. My status gets me access to the charmed circle. But nothing about them impresses me."

Rich or poor -- it is the same for him. "If the common man is star-struck, so is the topmost socialite. They both want my autograph and click pictures with me. I see no difference."

Then why all that shouting and marriage dancing for money.

"I am only ensuring that my wife, son and sister have a secure life. I know one day everything will be gone. And trust me, I won't be able to handle it. But that's life."

See also:
 (1) Badshah of Hearts (2) The colour of money in Bollywood



Archives

‘I am going great guns': Sanjay Dutt

'Today's stars are brash': Yash Chopra

Akshaye: The reluctant star


Four-in-one Madhuri in Gajagamini

Badshah of Hearts


I don't want cameras in my bedroom: Preity

I'm glad to start with s
mall banner: Rinki


Maybe, I'll marry Hussain: Manisha


Jackie Shroff : The eclipse

Chi Chi ji reigns supreme

The Queen maker

Guns to roses: Sunil Shetty

Govinda not my Raja: Rani

Rani: Kiss of life

‘I love the impossible’ : Ram Gopal Verma

I like being tall :Pooja Batra

Manisha: Life after serial flops

Kashmira Shah: My body beautiful

Everybody's aping me - Urmila

Sonali Bendre: Tall order to Stardom

Rishi Banner-ji arrives

GOVINDA IN LIMELIGH

Comments

Popular posts from this blog